On the north bank of the York River in Gloucester County, Werowocomoco (“Chief’s place” in the Powhatans’ Algonquian language) was the headquarters of paramount chief Powhatan during the early years of the Jamestown Settlement, but excavations date the site to 1250. It emerged as a place of political and ceremonial power. Two notable curved ditches from 1400 possibly denote ceremonial areas. It is also the site where Captain John Smith was taken in 1607 while a prisoner of Powhatan’s war chief, Opechancanough. It now belongs to the National Park Service but is not yet open to the public.
Image: Public Domain