Waterford Historic District
Waterford is a remarkable example of an early 19th-century village. Founded in the 1730s as a milling settlement when Amos Janney and fellow Quakers arrived from Pennsylvania, the community peaked about 1840. The Civil War precipitated a long decline for the pro-Union village. (Resident Sam Means raised Virginia’s only federal cavalry unit, the Independent Loudoun Rangers.) In the 1930s, residents seeking to revive the failing local economy and rescue crumbling buildings, began restoring Waterford’s old houses. The town has since become a model of grassroots preservation.