Virginia Institution for the Deaf and Blind
Established by the General Assembly in 1838, the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind was an innovative educational institution in the Commonwealth and only the second institution of this type in the world. Staunton was selected as the location in 1839 because of its accessibility and abundant land. Although there have been many additions to the campus, the original Greek Revival main building still stands and is listed on the National and Virginia Historical Registers.
Image: Public Domain