St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
St. Peter’s Parish was established in 1679. A second church replaced the original building in 1703, with a tower built in 1741. Today it is the oldest parish church in the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia and the third-oldest in Virginia. Martha Dandridge married Col. Daniel Parke Custis, a member of the vestry, in June 1749. Widowed eight years later, the rector of St. Peter’s Parish solemnized her marriage to Col. George Washington.
Location: New Kent
Image: Creative Commons (jjmusgrove)