St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (Norfolk)
Built in 1739, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is the lone Norfolk building that survives from the colonial era. Also known as the Borough Church, St. Paul’s survived the shelling of the city by British Lord Dunmore during the American Revolution. A cannonball from that attack remains impaled in the building. The church also survived a fire started by patriots trying to destroy loyalist property, but the fire grew out of control and destroyed a large portion of the city. St. Paul’s served as a Union chapel during the Civil War and was the site of the funeral of General Douglas MacArthur in 1964.
Image: Virginia Department of Historic Resources