Sally Louisa Tompkins
Sally Louisa Tompkins was the daughter of a wealthy Mathews County family who moved to Richmond shortly before the beginning of the Civil War. On July 21, 1861, she and other women of St. James Episcopal Church opened a private hospital in the home of Judge John Robertson to provide for wounded soldiers. Robertson Hospital is reputed to have achieved the highest survival rate of any military hospital during the war due to Tompkins’ insistence on cleanliness. For her work, she was appointed a captain in the Confederate Army and upon her death in 1916, she was buried with full military honors.
Image: The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, VA