The Graffiti House provides a window into the Civil War’s quiet moments and the largest cavalry battle on the continent. The building sat at an important crossroads for men, supplies, and wounded for both sides. Traveling soldiers—imagine their hopes and dreams—wrote their names, drawings, and inscriptions on the walls. In June 1863, the house served as a hospital during the Battle of Brandy Station when Union cavalry surprised J.E.B. Stuart’s Confederate mounted force. Though Stuart prevailed, the clash began the end of Confederate dominance in cavalry combat during the war.
Location: Brandy Station
Image: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division