Flora Cooke Stuart/Stuart Hall School
They called her Mrs. General Stuart. She was Flora Cooke Stuart, the widow of Confederate general J. E. B. Stuart and the daughter of the Union general Philip St. George Cooke. (The Stuarts named their first-born after her father, but when he stayed loyal during the Civil War they changed the boy’s name.) After the war, Flora Stuart moved to Staunton and, in 1880, became principal of the Virginia Female Institute, an Episcopal school for girls, where she oversaw an increase in enrollment. She retired in 1899 and in 1907 the school was renamed Stuart Hall in her honor.
Image: Virginia Museum of History and Culture