Ferdinando Fairfax was a Virginia landowner and member of the prominent Fairfax family that owned all the land between the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers. Fernando began questioning slavery, and in 1790 he wrote a tract calling for the gradual emancipation of all slaves. Belvoir Plantation was the family home, situated on the west bank of the Potomac River, the present site of Fort Belvoir. The main house burned in 1783 and its ruins destroyed in the War of 1812. The War Department received the property in 1912 and the tract eventually lent its name to the modern military installation.
Location: Fort Belvoir
Image: Public Domain