Christ Church (Alexandria)
George Washington bought a pew in Christ Church in 1773, and his association with the church helped save its congregation. Pohick Church was his regular house of worship, because it was closer to his home at Mount Vernon, but this church served as Washington’s backup house of worship. Because of his connection to Christ Church, the congregation thrived during the early 1800s when many other Episcopal congregations were faltering. Robert E. Lee prayed in this church, and later Union troops conducted services here.
Image: Public Domain