Bruton Parish Church
Bruton Parish Church dates to 1715 as the official Anglican Church of colonial leaders when Williamsburg was Virginia’s capital. Governor Alexander Spotswood contributed to its design, and the General Assembly allocated funds for construction, overseen by rector James Blair. It was used as a hospital during the Revolution and the Civil War. Renovations took place in 1907 and again in the 1930s as part of John D. Rockefeller Jr.’s restoration of Colonial Williamsburg. Bruton Parish is active today as an Episcopal church and available for tours of its historic structure and cemetery.
Image: Public Domain