Arlington National Cemetery and Monuments
Arlington National Cemetery traces its roots to land once owned by George Washington Parke Custis, grandson of Martha Washington, and later Robert E. Lee and his wife Mary Custis Lee. During the Civil War, the land served as a camp and headquarters for the Union Army, Freedmen’s Village–-an important contraband camp-–and 200 acres set aside to bury the war dead. By 1865, burials included thousands of service members as well as African American Freedmen. Today its 624 acres are home to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, President Kennedy’s grave site, and more than 400,000 graves.
Location: Fort Myer
Image: Arlington National Cemetery