Aquia Episcopal Church
Sometimes small details tell a big story. The stone trim on the corners of this two-story 1757 Georgian church are known as quoins (pronounced “coins”), made from Aquia Creek sandstone quarried nearby. A generation later, when sandstone became a popular construction material in the nation’s capital, it was used in parts of the White House, Capitol, and Treasury building, which survive today. The church also includes a triple pulpit and the grave of social reformer Kate Waller Barrett on its grounds. The old sandstone quarry is still visible at the nearby Government Island park.
Image: Creative Commons (Cowpie)