African American Heritage Museum
The Wytheville Training School is among the oldest black schools in Virginia, with roots dating back to an 1867 Freedmen’s Bureau school, held in four rented rooms beneath a print shop. The school quickly expanded and was purchased in 1883 by the local school district and Franklin Street Methodist Episcopal Church. It closed in 1952 and was replaced by the newly constructed Scott Memorial High School. Today, the African American Heritage Museum works to promote understanding and appreciation of Wythe County’s African American education heritage.
Image: Wytheville Convention and Visitor’s Bureau